raw beginnings

2011, you kicked my ass. It appears I've finally awoken from my hangover coma and decided to punish myself start the year right by going raw for the month of January.  Aimed at detoxifying the system and charging it full of wholesome nutrients and vitamins, the raw diet ensures you eat everything in its natural state, which seems simple enough but often takes a ridiculous amount of prep work (but more on that some other time).  I have my wonderful friend Amy to thank for giving me a gift card to Chapters for my birthday back in September. I wanted to use it one night and was thinking about the right book to remember Amy by when I stumbled upon the raw food section and my idea materialized.  I bought an awesome book by Judita Wignall called "Going Raw" and it's been great, except the smile on her face in every recipe photo kinda makes me want to retch- yeah, four hours of dicing zucchini and smearing them with tamari and freshly hand-grated cashew powder ....I'm just beaming. Anyway all of that BS aside, a week later and I can say it truly hasn't been that difficult, although I have headaches every day. But who cares about headaches when you have a Blueberry Banana Smoothie!!!!!!!!! Am I right? *cue incomprehensible smile*
This bad boy can be achieved by blending together 1 banana, a handful of blueberries, a handful of kale, 1/2 cup of coconut water and a tablespoon of coconut oil. You can leave the coconut oil out but it just fills you up more.

Anyway, yay 2012! 

No comments